Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Not sure where to start

I can sum up yesterday in two words...it sucked.  My back, shoulders and neck hurt until late evening.  I popped pills all day long so I could still move.  And the anxiety of what the next day brought didn't inspire me much.

This morning started with tired quads, sore hammies, and tight calves.  Fortunately, the upper body aches were only barely noticeable.  Getting out of bed proved easier than I expected, but the trip down the stairs showed things weren't as peachy as I thought.  With each step down, I felt fire in my hamstrings and fatigue in my quads.  I realized there was no way I could do another round of Plyometrics without a day or two of rest in between.  Instead, I opted for the Cardio X workout.

Cardio X is just what it sounds like.  You warm up with some Yoga exercises to stretch, move on to Kenpo (a basic form of Karate with mild kicks and punches) to get the body warmed up, then really start to burn calories with a combination of Plyometrics and other cardio and core exercises.

It's been a while since I'd done this disc and I forgot some of the exercises, and one other thing.  At the start of the disc it tells you to have a heart rate monitor, water and towel, yoga mat, etc.  Seeing 'water and towel' I expected there to be short water breaks in between some of the exercises.  Not so much.

Starting off with the yoga showed just how tired my quads were.  My body shook during runners pose and the 2-3 warrior poses.  I continually lost my balance, but had both a cat and a dog right at my feet to catch any falls.  The yoga in P90X is different than any of the yoga I've seen on TV.  The poses I've seen on TV usually require you to hold the position for 10-15 seconds.  In Yoga X, you're looking at holding poses for 45-90 seconds.  It's brutal, and that's just the stretching part of the Cardio X routine.

By the time the yoga portion was done, I was covered in sweat and dying for that first break.  Don't hold your breath because it's not there.

The Kenpo is kind of cheesy, but does warm your body and during this series of exercises, the sweat was flowing freely.  Like I said, kind of cheesy, but sort of neat at the same time.

I could have done without the Plyometrics moves today, but they were fairly low impact, so I went with it.  Actually, after yesterday, it was a blessing to only perform a handful of these moves.  I breezed through them, sweating profusely the whole way til we got to the more cardio-based moves, at which point I really expected a water break.  Still didn't happen.

So, I paused the damned disc and made my own water break.  The Citrus Cooler Gatorade never tasted so good.  I toweled off and headed into the home stretch of exercises aimed at seeing if I could induce a heart attack with some cardio/core exercises.

There are two in particular that are kind of fun, but simply shred your body, especially if you're in shitty shape like me.  The first is called Steam Engines.  If I remember right, you do this for something like a minute and twenty seconds.  It starts off fun, then it just hurts.

Watch below in this video:


The brother in this video is holding his head a little low, the P90X guy would want it a little higher, but try this for 80 or 90 seconds and see what it feels like.

Another exercise that starts off wacky and cute is called Wacky Jacks.  They take a while to get a feel for and you usually do them wrong the first couple times you do the disc, but you eventually get it...and holy crap does it burn.  Watch this chick below:



It was somewhere during the Wacky Jacks where my lungs caught fire and I had not only sweat, but tears rolling down my face.  And after this crazy series of moves, did we get a water break???  Hell no, it was time for a 5-minute cool down to end the program.

When I stretched my legs, I heard things pop in three different places.  Fortunately, I didn't feel anything pop because I was number by then.  Not sure what it was, but I can't imagine it's good.  I limped into the kitchen for some more Gatorade, then crawled up the stairs to the shower.  In the shower I couldn't distinguish the water from the sweat from the tears.

Now a couple hours later I'm at work and I can't feel anything below my waist.  Well, I can feel one thing, but nothing below that.  Everything is tight and sore, but nothing hurts...unless I move.

I didn't get on the scale today because I expected it to be higher than yesterday.  Anytime you start some sort of cardio program, your body overreacts into thinking you're going to die so it stores up excess water so you don't dehydrate and you end up weighing more than the day you started, so I'll wait til the end of the weekend and see what I weigh.

There's so much sore in my lower body right now, that it won't all fit and it's radiating up into my butt muscles.  Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment