Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Been having trouble sleeping

For a few weeks now, I've been having a hard time falling asleep and an even harder time getting back to sleep if I wake up during the night.  And I'm not talking about the times Jennifer wakes me up each morning with a variety of door slams (It's not Jennifer's fault, she inherited the 'loud gene' from her mom.  Her mom, she's "OMG loud.").  I'm talking about the "getting into bed and not being able to fall asleep" and then the "I wonder why I just woke up in the middle of the night" instances.

After another struggle to fall asleep last night, I think I've narrowed the problem to a singular issue, but an issue with multiple potential causes-->My feet are too hot.

I don't wear socks to bed.  While we've got a couple extra blankets on the bed, it's a king bed and the extra blankets aren't on my feet.  There is at least one, and usually two felines on the bed, but neither are on my feet.

Last night was warm, it's been in the 80s this week, but by bed time, our room has cooled down the temperature it normally is, but I had a hell of a time falling asleep last night, and an even worse time trying to get back to sleep after that devil cat woke me up again.  #damnedkitty

I can't lie still in the bed because I'm constantly moving my feet trying to find the cool part.  The worst part is my family (on my dad's side), has really shitty circulation.  We all have bad knees and legs and our feet are usually cold.  I wear slippers at home year round.  At work, I've got a small portable heater that I keep on year round (it's not uncommon to come into my office and I've got a fan blowing on the top part of me and the heater on under my desk keep my piggly wigglys warm.  My feet are always cold, yet in bed, my feet get hot.

I don't go to bed with hot feet.  Before bed, I go through the same routine.  I walk into our room and strip down to my skivvies.  I grab my tooth brush and tooth paste and head into the bath room in the hall so I don't wake up Sleeping Beauty (Jennifer).  I brush my teeth, I take one last whiz, I admire myself in the mirror and say, "Yeah Baby, you've still got it."  Then, one at a time, I hold a foot to the faucet and run it under cold water (told you before, I'm a clean freak).  No hot feet, no dirty feet, no kinds of feet stank allowed in my bed.  Then I get into bed.

I watch TV for a little while, then I turn off the tube and start tossing and turning, searching for the cool spot. Invariably, I end up throwing off the comforter and lie under nothing but the sheet.  Then it's too cold.  It's an ongoing battle.

However, today, I think I've narrowed it down to one of two things:  either the comforter is just too much or since I've only noticed this for a short while, my feet are rebelling due to my mini-mary training (I didn't run today).  For the last several years, I've been a runner but I've always done my running on the dreadmill.  Only for the last couple weeks have I been running in the great outdoors (and wow, are the two different).  If it's not the comforter, I think my feet are just a bit swollen or sore.  They don't hurt, but they sure get hot at night.

We've had the comforter for a couple months now, since before I started running outside and I don't recall having hot feet, so I'm left wondering if this is just my feet developing attitude.  Has anyone else experienced hot feet after starting up a new running routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment