Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Frustrations gone

Had to burn off some steam tonight after spending all freaking afternoon on Hayden's homework and studying for his test.  Poor bastard is dead man walking and doesn't even know it, completely clueless on the material despite many hours of help from his loving father...I'll be surprised if he does well enough to get an F.

Last night I worked on homework from about 3:30 til after 8.  Tonight, we worked from 3:15 til 5:30 and then he spent some more time before bed.  However, he's going out of town this weekend so I've got to have a study guide ready for him to take when he leaves, so I've got another hour sometime tonight going over his Social Studies material.  Honestly, if I had spent as much time on my school work as I do on his, people would still be marveling over my grades. 

So, between working on his spelling, grammar, and math, and then going over his science to prepare for Thursday's test, only to find out he's simply got no shot, I had a lot of frustrations to get rid of.  Initially, I wasn't going to do any running tonight as people have told me not to run every night because my legs need a rest, but I decided to go out while Jennifer slaved over the stove. 

It was a beautiful evening, mostly warm with a gentle breeze.  My intent was to stay out longer than any of my previous jogs, simply to burn some calories and kill some pent up frustrations.  I started relatively slowly.  Past the neighbor's house, I turned left, then right at the stop sign.  Then past the kids playing in the street and right at the next stop sign.  Then through the next stop sign and left when the street ended.

I'm making it sound long to be dramatic, but all these turns are in our subdivision, so it's not like I needed GPS to find my way back home.  However, I was realizing my lungs were hanging in there and my legs hadn't seized yet. 

I went to the end of that street and turned around, headed right at the stop, ran til that street ended, and took a left.  Turned left again when that street ended and a final right turn.  Again, the trip was long, but only for me and not really in general, but I'm trying to make it sound impressive.

I did stop and walk for about a minute, but other than that brief walk, I jogged the whole time.  19% longer than yesteray and 66% longer than my first day running.  My average was down again, but still faster than the first day.

It's really amazing as I look back on my progress.  An 80-year old lady with a walker could still run a mini marathon faster than me right now, but I'd totally kick my ass from last week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment